Here are our top 5 October gardening jobs to keep you busy this Autumn:
1. Clean up fallen leaves – Now that Autumn is here there are leaves everywhere! If you don’t mind sharing your home with nature simply use a rake to move fallen leaves into a quiet corner of the garden. This will allow insects and small mammals to create a snug home for hibernation over the winter months.
2. Cut back any plants and flowers that have died down – This will make sure your garden looks neat and tidy.
3. Move delicate plants (including aquatics) into greenhouses – Now that the weather is getting colder this will ensure your more fragile plants are safe from harsh frosts.
4. Harvest crops – Autumn signifies the start of the harvest season and now it is time to gather any apples and pears that have been growing. It is also a perfect time to hunt for chestnuts and conkers! That’s what Autumn is all about, isn’t it?
5. Mow lawns and trim hedges – Once this has been done the garden will require much less maintenance over the coming months. Also, if you feel your lawn is looking tired now is the perfect time to lay down new turf or invest in some artificial grass for a truly low maintenance garden!